Did you know that 1 in 5 people struggle with their mental health? It’s true! So, if you’re one of them, you certainly aren’t alone!
May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and to celebrate, we’re sharing tidbits to bust stigma. Each week, we’re exploring a different topic to help get the conversation started. And this week? We’re taking a closer look at anxiety— something recent surveys show 62% of Americans are grappling with right now.
Check out the video below where superstar Carson Daly opens up about his struggle with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
So, what is anxiety? The American Psychological Association defines it as “an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes like increased blood pressure.”
Common anxiety symptoms include:
- Feeling nervous, restless, or tense
- Having a sense of impending danger, panic, or doom
- Having an increased heart rate
- Breathing rapidly (hyperventilation)
- Feeling weak or tired
- Trouble concentrating or thinking about anything other than the present worry
- Having trouble sleeping
- Experiencing gastrointestinal (GI) problems
- Having difficulty controlling worry
- Having the urge to avoid things that trigger anxiety
Moreover, anxiety disorders encompass a multitude of different mental health conditions, including:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Social Anxiety Disorder
To learn more about the different types of anxiety disorders, click here to check out quick facts by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Check out our blog, and make sure to stay tuned to social media for more mental health tidbits. You can find us at youthdynamicsmt on Instagram, or Youth Dynamics of Montana and People of Youth Dynamics on Facebook.